Things I wish to add to Mozilla (given the time)
- Addins manager - Addins manager panel in Mozilla preferences and
applicable toolbar button/menu for the management of third party extensions.
- Intelligent Lookup - Select text on a webpage, bring up context
menu and choose "Search for Selection" to perform an web search on the
selected words. Similarly, "Browse to Selection" treats selection as a URL
and navigates to it. Attach bookmark browsing ability to URL fields, and
file dialogs to file open fields.
- Editor Sidebar - extend Aurora file and data management to editor -
get easy access to files (drag and drop in elements such as images, stylesheets,
scripts etc), store page fragments, create sites, remote data management etc.
Advanced property/style editing UI.
- Non Modal Page Editing - create a non-modal editing reigime for
composer that allows setting of properties and creation of elements without
bringing up dialogs - make page creation easier.
- Advanced Editor plugins/modules - Forms, Layers (absolutely positioned
content), Rollover Images
- NetHelp Engine - create a Nethelp engine based on XUL rather than HTML
as in v4.x. Use sidebar for storing index, bookmarked help topics, table of
- Intelligent Help - NetHelp should be a reference, but Mozilla
should provide its most useful help to beginners in the form of context-
sensitive popups that are linked to each element, which explain its use. Dialogs
could have a help button, and non dialog objects "Help on this Item" elements
in their associated context menus. Make it easy for users to get
help without having to load the help file and have to search for it.
Many tech support calls can be saved this way.
- Ruler in editor, ability to set Navigator window size to a particular pixel size,
with presets for common sizes (Mac/Win resolutions, WebTV etc)
- more later..