Janeites - the Quizz
Q 1 *
Q 2 *
Q 3 *
Q 4 *
Q 5 *
Q 6 *
Q 7 *
Q 8 *
Q 9 *
Q 10 *
Q 11 *
Q 12 *
The Answers || Back to Janeites homepage
1. What kind of apricot did Dr. Grant discuss with Mrs. Norris and what was
the price of it ?
Check the Answer to Q1 || back to top
2. (a) What were the Christian names of ---
Lady Middleton, Mr. Woodhouse, Mrs. Clay, Mr. Morland, Mrs.
Weston, Miss Bates, Bingley,Mr. Collins, Mr. Elton, Mr. Smith, Willoughby ?
(b) What leading characters have no Christian name given ?
(c) What were the maiden names of ---
Mrs. Smith, Lady Bertram, Mrs. Elton, Lady Middleton, Lady Catherine de
(d) Mention two or more characters called ---
Anne, Jane, Charles, Maria, Elizabeth, Anna, William, Henry, --- and
what did Admiral Croft say all young ladies should be called to avoid
(e) Give the name of the shop where the Camden Place ladies sheltered
the rain --- where Harriet and Frank Churchill are separately described
shopping --- where Elinor and Marianne Dashwood met their half-brother ?
Check the Answer to Q2 || back to top
3. Give three occasions on which Fanny Price unwittingly scores over her
Aunt Norris ?
Check the Answer to Q3 || back to top
4. What do we know about ---
(a) Miss Grantley,
(b) Mrs. Speed,
(c) Miss Pope,
(d) Charlotte Davis,
(e) Miss King,
(f) Biddy Henshawe,
(h) the Lady Frasers,
(i) the Tupmans,
(f) Lady Mary Grierson ?
Check the Answer to Q4 || back to top
5. Give context of quotations of Chapters 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,
13. For those who do not have the book the quotations follow.
(3) "All the New Poems and States of the Nation"
(5) "As Careless on Such Subjects as Most People"
(7) "The Sweets of Housekeeping in a Country Village"
(8) "Her Mind Improved"
(9) "Perfectly Compatible with the Profession of a Clergyman"
(10)"Addicted to Letter Writing"
(11)"You Must Not Expect a Prodigy"
(12)"Sometimes One Conjectures"
(13)"A Bond or Two, but Nothing of Consequence"
Check the Answer to Q5 || back to top
6. By whom and in what capacity were the following servants employed:
(k) Mrs. Hodges,
(l) Mrs. Chapman,
(n) Christopher Jackson,
Check the Answer to Q6 || back to top
7. What, according to Charles Musgove, were Charles Hayter's prospects ?
Check the Answer to Q7 || back to top
8. By whom and by what methods of transport were the following journeys undertaken ?
(a) From Bath to Clifton,
(b) from Highbury to Box Hill,
Uppercross to Lyme,
(d) from Bath to Northanger,
(e) from Northanger to
(f) from Barton to Portland Street, London,
(g) from Mansfield
Park to Sotherton,
(h) from Exeter to Bartlett's Buildings, Holborn,
(i) from Longbourn to Netherfield (three trips within a week),
(j) from Mansfield Park to
Check the Answer to Q8 || back to top
9. In which of Jane Austen's novels are the following cited and by whom ?---
(a) Cowper's "Oh, ye Avenues, etc.,"
(b) "the inimitable Miss Larolles,"
(c) "the lady of Branxholm Hall,"
(d) a book about "nothing but an old man and his seesaw,"
(e) Mdme. Genalis and her Adelaide,"
Check the Answer to Q9 || back to top
10. Of whom, by whom, and to whom was the following said ? ---
time I saw her she had a red nose,"
(b) I fancy he is very unlike his
brother --- silly, and a great coxcomb,"
(c) " she is the sort of elegant creature one cannot keep one's eyes from
and I do pity her from my heart,"
(d) "It seems to me to show an abominable
independence, and a most country town indifference to decorum,"
(e) "No one
can call such an undersized man handsome. He is not five foot nine.,"
the fairness of your friend was an open attraction, her firmness, you know,
could only be understood by yourself."
Check the Answer to Q10 || back to top
11.Where in what connection does Jane Austen particularly introduce ---
horses, dogs, poultry ?
Check the Answer to Q11 || back to top
12. In "Emma" there are two characters only, besides Emma herself, who were
present at the three dinner parties, at Randalls, at Hartfield, and at
(1) Who were they ?
(2) Who (four) attended two ?
(3) Who (six) one only ?
Check the Answer to Q12 || back to top